Monday, May 6, 2013

Three Minutes, Winter, & Monday Fortune Cookie 5/6/13

A FEELING IS AN IDEA WITH ROOTS

SNARKY RESPONSE:  And dislodging a bad one can be similar to getting a root canal.

FIRST THIS NEWS FLASH:  NPR announced on Saturday, their new Three-Minute Fiction Contest writing prompt - Write a short piece of fiction (600 words or less) in which a character finds something he or she has no intention of returning. Deadline is midnight on Sunday, May 12th.

Actually, I thought this fortune and NPR's newest Three-Minute Fiction Contest were kinda sympatico with my recent efforts with random writing prompts. I don't know if I'll have time to attempt this round, but I'm thinking about it.

I found this prompt and got the feeling my response to this prompt would work best as free verse. Perhaps attending all the Open Mikes and rubbing elbows with some of the Richmond Poets has begun to rub off on me. They're so friendly and giving of their words and encouragement that I felt open to making an attempt. I hope they're not laughing or cringing too much.


Thank you, Writers Write

Winter is everything except silent.
Clear away summer's exuberant song and reveal
the subtle underscore of life less full.
Overhead, limbs, leaf-free, liberated,
creak and click with each brush of wind.
Breath becomes part of the soundscape
above footsteps audible on frost-stiffened grass
or salt-strewn paths.
Brittle cracks of ice,
soft drops of melt,
hushed fall of snow.
Water in winter shifts form and texture,
each with its own unique soundtrack.
Birdcalls split the air with sharp edges,
winter flight a soft whoosh of wings through air.
Solitary flight sounds as clear as summer's flock
amplified by absence, fuller in empty skies.
Soft, hard. Loud, hushed.
Winter is everything except silent.






8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy! It was really strange that the ONLY way I could respond to this prompt was in a poem. It just didn't resonate for me in narrative form. Weird, huh?

      Delete
  2. so many vibrant sounds in this... awesome, Denise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna! Thanks for the compliment. Your poetry is always filled with such wonderful word images, I could only hope to capture something in mine.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I agree, lovely depiction of the sounds! I especially like:
    Breath becomes part of the soundscape
    above footsteps audible on frost-stiffened grass
    or salt-strewn paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah! I had fun with this one even though it pushed me outside my comfort zone. I haven't tried poetry in years.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I love sound and your use of it here really pulls me into the painting your words create. You should share this at dVerse poets night on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nara! I'm delighted that the poem worked for you. I actually read it at a local open mic and it was nicely received. I'll have to check out dVerse. Honestly, I don't write poetry on a regular basis. This prompt just struck that tone. Narrative wouldn't work. Poetry was the ONLY possible medium, in my mind. Thank you for stopping and commenting. I hope your writing is going well.

      Delete