Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

A few weeks ago, I was invited by KyAnn Waters (http://www.kyannwaters.blogspot.com)to participate in this fun blog hop. When I saw the questions being posed, I was more than happy to play. I hope that you'll enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them.

What is the title of your book?


Where did the idea come from for the book?

I've been devouring a lot of paranormals lately and wanted to try my hand at writing one. I've always written fantasy, so paranormal isn't that far of a stretch. When deciding what kind of paranormal, I chose shapeshifters, but not werewolves since they've been done a lot, and very well. I'm a cat person, so a feline shapeshifter made sense. When I imagined my world with shapeshifters living openly among the populace, I knew there would be folks opposed to/frightened by/violently against shapeshifters having a place in society. That lead to the thought of hunters which led to the Collectors and the concept that they saw shapeshifters as the "ultimate big game." And from there we had "lift off!"

What genre does your book come under?

Definitely paranormal romance with a slant toward suspense and just enough heat to make it spicy.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

What a fun question! Hmm.






Eliza Dushku (Dollhousewould be KT Marant . Eliza has not only the look, but also the attitude I wanted for KT.











Alex O'Loughlin (Moonlight, Hawaii 50would be Peyton Allers. Alex has the ability to look tough, but remain sympathetic.










Jon Hamm (Mad Menwould be Douglas Torne. For some reason, he can look like he's Teflon coated and ego-driven.








What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

When a headstrong female shapeshifter enlists a cynical Alpha take on the Collectors, can they bring the illegal hunt club down or will she become a Collector's Item?


Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

My publisher is The Wild Rose Press, an epublisher.



How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

The first draft of Collector's Item took about seven months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I'm hopeful that my story would fall in the same category as Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Reading about Kitty and Mercy motivated me to expand my writing. And the idea that the transition period after the Big Reveal would be fraught with issues.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Oh my, that's a loaded question. I guess I'd have to say that I've put a little spin on the shapeshifter trope by giving the animal side of my shapeshifters their own personality and voice in the story. How this deeper relationship influences the behavior and reactions of my shapeshifters is something I hoped to convey.


Well, that's all folks! Thanks again, KyAnn for the invite.



Please mark your calendar for March 27th to check out the author I invited to participate with The Next Big Thing Blog Hop: Alexa Day

Alexa is not just a friend, but an awesome writer whose debut novel, ILLICIT IMPULSE is now available from Ellora's Cave. Please drop in next Wednesday to visit Alexa Day at her blog - http://alexaday.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment