Monday, March 4, 2013

MONDAY FORTUNE COOKIE, 3/4/13

THE JOURNEY THROUGH LIFE REQUIRES MANY SHOES.

SNARKY REMARK: What?! Now, Fortune Cookie Guru, you're Jimmy Choo? Well, when life gives you a kicker, put on your steel-toed shoes and kick it right back!


The journey through life requires many shoes.


I've never been a big fan of shoes. I buy them. I wear them. I take them off as soon as I come in the door. That is NOT the result of my heritage, but the result of my feet's general unhappiness with being enclosed. But I think I get where the Fortune Cookie Guru is going with this.


We have to cover a lot of ground in this life and the terrain can be quite different from point to point.

Today's Fortune Cookie reminds me of the "wearing many hats" analogy, but perhaps a head covering is less indicative of effort expended, obstacles overcome, and preparedness completed than a properly chosen shoe. Ah! Spoken like a true fashionista (which I obviously am not), but I'm assured it's all about the accessories.

Consider:

Muddy shoes or boots might be required when dealing with periods of stormy weather or hard work.

Polished shoes or high heels come out when you have a chance to strut your stuff, dress to impress, or party down.

The sandals slide on when life is moving easy and expectations are for casual comfort.

Roomy bedroom slippers snuggle around your feet for periods of a more private, indulgent, reclusive nature.

Tennis or aerobic shoes helped you when life required that you stay moving, keep on your toes, or get there fast!


Poet J.S. Lee - powerful poems and heels

Maybe the Fortune Cookie Guru is trying to remind us that we'll have to understand and accept that sometimes the shoes we wore yesterday won't be appropriate for today.

 That the life we lived before this moment is no more than a precursor for the life we will live tomorrow.

Yeah, that sounds preachy, but it's something I'm constantly working to accept. The only constant in life is change and the only option is to be accepting of that fact. As the Borg would say, "resistance is futile" and for this, they'd be right. 

We may not get to choose much in this life, but one thing we are assured of being able to choose is HOW we deal with what life throws at us.

For this period of life, I'd say I'm in the low-heeled slingback mode. A little elevation to give me a clearer field of view. Easy on and off for those moments when you absolutely MUST go barefoot.

What kind of shoes are you wearing at this stage of your life?

11 comments:

  1. Not a fan of shoes? Why, Denise, you wound me! Great metaphor, though; you're right-- much better these days than hats.

    Hey! Is that my foot there? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why Yes! It IS your foot. I meant to give credit - will change that right now! My little Pisces feet prefer to run free of restrictions, but I envy folks like yourself who can wear fabu footwear! Actually, I'm loving the little round-toed shoes these days, comfy and attractive.

      Delete
    2. absolutely nothin' wrong with a cute pair of flats! :) (and no credit was necessary, by the way-- I just was flattered and surprised to see my little blue piggies making their debut on your blog!)

      Delete
  2. Tennis shoes for me. They are silent enough for stealth like moments and able to be worn for most situations. I'm sure though that my nice stilletos are coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Tina! Stealthy stilletos - may become the next rage! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Combination for me: Sneakers during gym time and NO MAKE UP!Silver slippers around the house. (I have to be girly-girl even at home!)Black scruffy boots while at Home Depot or Lowe's ( I have to look as if I know what I'm doing! Snerk!)And, of course, stilettos while out on the town! Great piece Denise! And I love Joanna's shoes!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love imagining your silver slippers flashing about the house. Thanks for dropping by, Stacy!

      Delete
  4. Fun post! I'm typically a barefooter too, but believe me, if they sold all those cute little styles in my gargantuant size 11s, you can bet I'd be all over the shoe thing. Sadly, it runs in the family. My teen daughter - size 12s - try finding a pair of shoes for the prom for that foot. And even tougher, my 13 year old son - wait for it - size 16s on his boats. Yep, that's a special order at that point. And what's sitting on my desk at this very minute? A pair of homemade moccassins. I bought the kit just for the pattern. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sofie! Glad you enjoyed the post. I hear your pain. I don't know why shoe sellers don't take into consideration the wider range of shoe sizes. Scientists say we're getting taller and that would mean shoes would get longer. At least, if we're staying with the metaphysical premise, you'd be covering the journey much faster than the rest of us. Well, good luck with the moccasins and thanks again for stopping in to comment!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you with the flats or low heels. Like you, I kick mine off the second I'm in the door and run around the house in socks most of the time. As a metaphor for life, I think it's indicative of the need to be nimble so you can change directions quickly and easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leah! Glad to meet another bare-footer and I second your metaphor. Keeping on our toes is easier when we're bare-footed, though running bare-footed over some terrain may be challenging. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete