Monday, July 2, 2012

MONDAY FORTUNE COOKIE 7/2/12


"From now on your kindness will lead you to success."

SNARKY RESPONSE: And "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." Yeah, that little comment will likely get me struck by lightning.

Or, "no good deed goes unpunished." Ouch! Okay, I'll stop!

From now on your kindness will lead you to success.

So, seriously, the fortune cookie sage has handed me an old adage and attached a carrot. The Golden Rule is a universal maxim to which most of us aspire. However, when the act is not spontaneous, but must be actively chosen, there is that tiny bit of self that wonders why, what's in it for me? And here is where the fortune cookie sage dangles that carrot—because kindness will lead me to success. Tiny bit of self is hereby appeased.

However, I must ask, is kindness with an ulterior motive truly kindness? This is perhaps were the fortune cookie sage shows his true "sageness" because he does not explain what act(s) of kindness or what kind of success. Not knowing means you cannot be selective in your kindness but must be kind in all possible instances. And in the end, I believe, kindness is its own reward in that momentary (or longer) sense of warmth and connectedness which is what we all crave, is it not?

Makes ya' kinda go hmmm, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment