Monday, September 10, 2012

MONDAY FORTUNE COOKIE 9/10/12

Many pleasurable and memorable adventures are in store for you.

SNARKY RESPONSE: Oh, sure! Which store? Do they offer discounts? Do I have to have a membership card?

Many pleasurable and memorable adventures are in store for you.

Well, I don't know about the future, but this past weekend was chock-a-block full of fun and adventures. Went out with friends, Alexa Day and Lucy Balch for drinks at a "new to me" wine bar, Secco Wine Bar, for drinks and nibbles before going to the local historical movie theater, The Byrd, to see Magic Mike. It was our first trip to Secco Wine Bar and we all highly recommend it. Knowledgeable bartender, excellent chef, delightful presentation and environment. The photo is of the Mighty Wirlitzer Organ which rises from below the stage and fills the theater with wonderful music before the two Saturday evening performances.

Enough has been said about Magic Mike on fb and elsewhere, but I can definitely say that the movie was exactly what I expected and also, not what I expected. The stripping and dancing scenes were all that I had hoped LOL.  The storyline was not what I expected. I guess I was thinking it would be all sex, drugs and rock n roll, but it was more (and less). I was glad I went to see it.

Then today, Joe and I drove to Baltimore for the Ukrainian Festival. We took the rural route to avoid the traffic nightmare that is DC. While the drive to Baltimore was much less stressful, it took much longer than anticipated. Saw a bunch of neat things, some old architecture, interesting eateries, and lovely countryside. When we arrived, finding a parking space was the final hurdle and then we were IN!

The festival is held in Patterson Park around a monument with vendors arranged around a circular area with a monument to Poland in the center. First stop was to get some authentic Ukrainian food, most offered by members of local Ukrainian churches. Perogies, stuffed cabbage, and potato pancakes all around.


Ukrainian beer and a shot of Medivka - Ukrainian Honey Liquor really got things off on the right foot.

Speaking of feet, there were Ukrainian dance groups performing as well. Dressed in colorful traditional costumes, they danced, leaped, spun and performed amazing steps. The crowd seated on chairs in front of the stage clapped and cheered. My knees ached just watching the young men leaping and squatting and kicking. Awesome!

A band at the opposite end of the park provided music for the beer garden and inspired at least one couple to trip the light fantastic!

There were also plenty of vendors offering lovely Ukrainian crafts to temp the pocketbook.

It was a lovely trip and a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment